The History of The Dixie Hills First Baptist Church
In the first quarter of 1932,
a small group, led by Rev. B. D. Howard, Rev. J. H. Alphabet
and Brother J. H. White families, began to hold weekly
meetings and Sunday School every Sunday. When the suggestion
came about to begin a church, as one was needed in the
community, it was wholeheartedly endorsed and by the group.
The following is a chronological tablet of the church’s
September 18, 1932 A presbytery was formed
to organize a Missionary Baptist church. The presbytery
Included Rev. P. J. Steels, Rev. R. R. King, Rev. C. H.
Patterson, Deacon F. Harris and Deacon Ben Walton.
B. D. Howard was called as pastor for as long
as he and the church could agree. On the first Sunday
in May 1933, the church was organized in the home of the
Rev. B. D. Howard at 385 Spellman Street. Churches and
pastors assisting in organizing the church included Springfield
Baptist Church, and Pastor Rev. T. J. Johnson, Mt. Zion
Baptist Church Carey Park and Pastor Rev. J. B. Thrasher,
and Welcome Baptist Church, Rev. P. J. Steele, Pastor.
And the church was officially licensed to use the name
Dixie Hills First Baptist Church.
first chartered members were: Rev. B. D. Howard, Rev.
O. R. Alphabet, Rev. J. H. Alphabet, Sister Willie Howard,
Brother John White, and Sister Susie Thomas. Rev. Howard.
For the next five years Rev. Howard labored successfully
toward building up the church. Forty-seven (47) members
came into the church by baptism and forty-three (43) by
Christian experience; three deacons were ordained: Brother
Sam Marsh, Brother A. Green and Brother James Harris.
Ground was purchased for the present site and a small
frame building erected.
Following Rev. Howard as pastor, were Rev. J. J. Hall,
Rev. I. S. Mack, Rev. J. H. Alphabet, Rev. J. H. Sanders,
Rev. A. G. Davis, Rev. R. D. Sutton and present pastor,
Rev. R. B. Sutton.
The Rev. R. D. Sutton was called to pastor the forty-two
(42) members. After four years of prayer and hard work,
the cornerstone of the second church building was laid
on May 29, 1949.
September 27, 1953 Burned mortgage on the second building.
During Rev. R. D. Sutton’s tenure, a building fund was
initiated for the purpose of renovating the second church
building. The fund became the seed money for constructing
the present building.
On the fourth Sunday in July of 1968, the church family
was saddened by the death of their beloved pastor. However,
still praying for guidance, the congregation voted to
elect the energetic and faithful youth pastor, Rev. R.
R. B. Sutton became the leader of the church carrying
on the work of his father. Since then the church has been
blessed with many new members, and the organization of
the church has been strengthened greatly. Due to Rev.
Sutton’s leadership and the cooperation of his deacons
and trustees, the membership was successful in purchasing
additional property on Morehouse Drive, and on Spellman
Street. After much prayer and with faith that our Heavenly
Father would provide for our needs, the decision was made
to erect a new building. There was a need for a growing
congregation and a place for training the young people
of this community. At this time, the late Deacon Nathaniel
Walker, Sr. was chairman of the Deacon Board and Deacon
Mack Akridge was chairman of the Trustee Board. Along
with Pastor Sutton and the other officers, these men moved
forward and secured a loan to build together the present
The membership vacated the old building in 1972 and the
work began. Sunday worship services were held at Turner
High and Douglas High Schools for the next two years until
the new building was completed. All business meetings
and choir rehearsals were held in the church’s property
on Spellman Street.
May 12, 1974
It was a joyful and thankful occasion when the Dixie Hills
First Baptist Church was dedicated on. After dedicatory
services were held outside, the ribbon was cut; the deacons
and church officials led the congregation into the sanctuary
for the morning services. The Re-Entry Services continued
through the third Sunday in May.
In the following years, many new projects were accomplished.
The addition of the chimes has brought joy to the entire
community, warming hearts twice daily with melodious,
religious tones. A ramp was built which provides handicapped
persons ready access to the church building. A Boy Scout
Troup No. 238 and Girl Scout Troup under the sponsorship
of the church were organized.
The Red Circle, youth missionary circle, under the leadership
of Mrs. Jessie Akridge, presented the church with the
Christian Flag and the United States Flag. These flags
have been an appropriate addition to the church sanctuary.
The first unit of the church was dedicated and named “The
Albert Woodard Fellowship” in honor of the late Deacon
Albert Woodard, December 12, 1985. Deacon Woodard served
faithfully as a Deacon and as Sunday School Superintendent
for many years.
March 6, 1988
The church held mortgage-burning services for the current
building; conducted by Rev. R. B. Sutton, Deacon Board
Chairman W. B. Releford, Trustee Board Chairman Mack Akridge,
and Deacon Charlie L. Davis.
Purchased its first van for transporting members and is
used in outreach ministry.
A lighted communication sign was purchased and more modern
equipment was bought for the church office.
The church has been blessed to have some of its young
men called into the service of the Lord as ministers.
All have been trained to carry out ministerial duties
under the watchful eye of the Pastor, Rev. R. B. Sutton.
1969: First were the late
Rev. Lloyd Hammond and Rev. Orange Weems.
1979: The late Rev. Ronnie
Thomas (deceased) and Rev. Melvin Allen Tukes
1989: Rev. Michael E. Sutton,
Rev. Howard Beckham and Rev. Chesley Forest
1991: Rev. Delvin Talton
and Rev. Bobby Y. Grimes
1992: Rev. Alfred Watkins,
Sr., and Rev. Alfred Wheeler
1995: Rev. Terry Tolbert
(deceased) was called to the ministry
2002: Rev. James Talton (2002)
and Rev. Reginald Jackson in 2007.
1994: The church was blessed
to purchase the property located at 1996 Morehouse Drive.
It is the members’ goal to build a multi-purpose building.
1997: Paved the parking lot
directly in front of the church (Morehouse Drive) and
Purchased the property at 235 Morris Brown Avenue (next
door) Fenced the parking lot across from the church.
the property immediately behind the church at 239 Spellman.
All are integral to the growth of the church and its purpose
for the community; to bring others to Christ. We thank
God for allowing us to add a lift for the convenience
of our members.
Dixie Hills First Baptist Church is working to serve the
community through its outreach ministry and youth training
programs. Religious training for the youth of the church
and community is provided through Sunday School, Bible
Study, Vacation Bible School, the Red Circle and Youth
Training Programs of the local, state and national associations.
In addition, the Education Committee provides enrichment
activities and learning experiences for the youth.
The Church’s outreach ministry has provided assistance
for the needy in the community; fed the homeless in conjunction
with neighboring churches, visited the nursing homes,
contributed to the United Negro (UNCF), the Morehouse
School of Religion, the Baptist Foreign Mission Bureau
and provided used church literature and Bibles for a church
in England and presently for the QLS in Atlanta supported
a women’s shelter and various nursing homes in the community
and the greater metropolitan area.
board of Trustees of Carver Bible College conferred upon
our Pastor, Rev. R. B. Sutton, the Degree of Doctor of
Divinity. The Lord is continuing to bless His church and
add to the preaching of his word.
November 14, 2010
The ministerial staff was increased with three additional
ministers; Rev. Oscar Williams, Rev. Render Russell and
Rev. Clifford Longino. Dixie Hills First Baptist Church
is mindful of its MISSION to serve others and WORK to
introduce others to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
December 2, 2012
Dixie Hills First Baptist Church celebrated its 80th anniversary
and is ever thankful for its many blessings.
Dixie Hills First Baptist Church All Rights Reserved .
Graphic Design by Lamore Thompkins & Stacey Woods
Web Development by BIE Media Group